At present, there are multiple websites internet users browse on a daily basis, like social media or any financial site. It is almost impossible to remember multiple username and passwords we use for different sites, even storing username and passwords is not said to be the safest option. That’s where Autofill comes in handy as it can store multiple site logins, credit and debit card details and even data like addresses, phone numbers and other useful details.
However, one question always revolved in our mind that, is Autofill safe to use on different browsers? And what about the pros and cons of Using Autofill on browsers like Safari can prove to be harmful for your personal data as it makes it vulnerable. So it is better to disable Autofill which anyone can do it simply with the help of simple steps as given below.
Effective steps to turn off Autofill in Safari while using Mac
- Launch ‘Safari’ browser on your Mac.
- Go to menu bar and click on ‘Safari’ option available on the top left.
- Then select the ‘Preferences’ option from the drop-down list.
- Now go to the ‘Autofill’ option and click to open multiple options on the screen.
- Uncheck all the boxes available on the screen.
- This process will prevent safari browser from storing passwords and other data in future.
Steps to turn off Autofill in Safari while using iPhone/iPad
- Go to home screen and tap on ‘Settings’ option.
- Now select ‘Safari’ from the list arrived on screen.
- Then select the option ‘Passwords & Autofill’ available under safari settings.
- Select the option ‘Saved Passwords’ from the list of options appeared on the screen.
- Now tap on ‘Edit’ option available on the top right.
- After that tick mark the sites in the list you want to delete.
- Tap on the ‘Delete’ option at the top left to remove the data.
- Alternatively, go to the ‘Saved Credit Cards’ option.
- It will open the list, select or tick mark the data and tap on ‘Edit’ option at top right.
- Now tap on the ‘Delete’ option on the top left to delete it.
Positive aspects of Autofilling
Autofill is helpful for those users who need to login multiple sites a day with different credentials, within a second all users can fill up necessary details and can complete the task. Even it helps when there’s a need to enter repetitive information like residential address, office address, telephone numbers etc. One of the main advantages of using autofill is that you can easily fill up the forms with all the correct details while signing up on any website. Apart from that autofill can also store credit and debit card details to transact faster on online shopping and other useful sites.
Negative aspects of Autofilling
It is particularly easy for anyone to steal your personal data while Autofill is turn on in the device. Any other person using your personal computer or mobile can login multiple websites like social media, banking sites and you may have to suffer heavy losses. Even autofill is not that exact when the data of multiple sites is stored in your device, most of the times it ends up filling inaccurate details on multiple sites which are said to be quite harmful to your personal data.
With the help of effective ways as provided above users can turn off autofill while using safari browser in their Mac and iPhone respectively. It prevents data loss and even provides safety to your personal information. Right now there’s no permanent solution on how autofill can be more secure when we use it on different browsers. So it is better to turn it off and prevent your personal data being vulnerable.